Friday, November 18, 2011

Tender Mercies... and other random thoughts

The idea of a "tender mercy" intrigues me.  I am sure you have all heard the saying "it is the small things that really count".  I often tend to look only to the BIG things that happen but in reality it is the cumulation of small things that really impact a person's life.  Here are some tender mercies this week:
  • Friends that post pictures of my kids on their blogs so that I can have a copy!
  • I uploaded a bunch of pictures from my slowly dying computer on Monday.  Yesterday it died for good. 
  • Our neighborhood full of kids who enjoy playing together, even if there are occasional tears.
  • I was able to walk a slow but steady 1.3 miles on the treadmill today. 
  • I still have the energy to do stuff around the house today!  Yay!
  • Finding a website that is helping me study the scriptures.
  • Elder Uchdorf's talks from the October General Conference. 
All of these things are little but they are important to me.

I've been really wanting to do better at studying the scriptures and after listening to a video on Sugardoodle.com I found this website:  www.theredheadedhostess.com  I am so in love with it!!!  She has such fantastic ideas on how to study the scriptures, among a million other ideas.  I have already started to implement her scripture journal idea and I already can see how it will help me.  So very cool.

So I tried going to the gym again today.  Like I said before, I walked for 26 minutes, 1.3 miles.  That is agonizingly slow for me but I tried going a bit faster and I immediately felt the worse for it so I slowed it back down again.  Towards the end I actually started getting SLEEPY: yawning, wanting to close my eyes.  Odd.  Exercising usually invigorates me.  The last time I tried exercising I felt the same way but I pushed myself to finish my 20 minute mile.  I ended up sleeping the rest of the day.  This time, I decided it would be better to get off the treadmill and not work myself too hard.  I asked the resident trainer why my body would react that way and he said that feeling sleepy is a pre-curser to passing out and that I still need to take it slow.  He suggested doing short intervals of exercise throughout the day would be better for me right now than a big workout session.  I am encouraged that I can go further but it is still frustrating to not be where I was before.  I am going to try his suggestion and see if I can help my body be stronger.

No comments: