I seem to take pictures in waves. This is part of the most recent wave.
For the last year I have been working at the Firehouse developing an after school program. We officially started the program this month. While I am the coordinator, Brad is the Maker/Builder Studio Leader. This video was taken at our open house. They were making a simple Rube Goldberg machine. It took us 23 takes of getting the machine to work perfectly. The kids were pretty excited when it finally worked!!!
Also at the open house, Brad did an experiment testing the strength of triangles. Each kid, including Jillian, got a chance to stand on the board until finally Brad tried it. They were impressed!
Jillian chose to make catapults with her dad in the Maker/Builder Studio. This is the catapult base. Brad taught them about using impact drivers and screwing into heavy materials.
Jorja's art project. It's a boat!
The girls were watching Cupcake Wars and were inspired to have their own war! This happened yesterday. I wish we had taken more pictures!! This was the end of the process. Malea, Logan, and I were the judges. Madelyn and Chloe where one team, going against Jillian and Jorja. Both teams made a salted caramel cupcake recipe and a lemon blueberry recipe. All recipes were different, so really there were four batches of cupcakes made!! They did a great job. Madelyn and Chloe won for best presentation and Jillian and Jorja won the taste. Overall, Jillian and Jorja won by by one point. They had a lot of fun!!!
Yesterday was also big pick up day in our town. This means you can throw out the large items like appliances or mass quantities of left over remodeling materials. This only happens twice a year so it is always a pretty big deal around town -- people roam the streets in cars, trucks, on foot, etc. to find treasures other people call trash. Jorja found this gem of a briefcase and immediately thought it would be useful for Brad. It is a vintage hard case. I remember my dad using these for years. Pretty sweet!!







No comments:
Post a Comment