Sunday, October 26, 2008

My Obituary

Last Thursday I went to a funeral of an elderly man in our ward and I was so touched by who this man was. In fact, Brad and I came home saying that we wished that we had known him when he was younger. Each person that paid tribute to him noted how happy he was. He always had some funny cartoon to share or something funny to say. He found joy in life and he didn't complain. He loved others and they loved him.

I've been thinking since then about my own legacy and how I want to be remembered. (Don't worry; I plan on living a long, full life still!) I have heard that you should write your own obituary and then live to make it happen. Perhaps this isn't such a bad idea because it helps you define what is most important to yourself.

So, one day when I pass from this earth, this is what I want to be said of me:

  • I was a good wife, mother and friend
  • I was kind and compassionate
  • I helped other people feel good inside -- whether it be about themselves, their lives, etc.
  • I was fun to be around
  • I had a strong testimony and understanding of the gospel and the scriptures
  • I faced challenges with faith and courage
  • I was a happy and positive person and never complained
  • Other people loved me because I loved them
  • I tried my best in all I did
  • I was a beacon of light in a dark world
I have a lot of work to do!

1 comment:

H said...

oh I don't know. A lot of those things I feel you really are...at least to me. =)