A coupe of years ago Brad and I put together a big slip 'n slide for our summer primary activity. Because of this, it has been our pleasure to store the monstrosity. Saturday I decided to break it out and have a little fun at home. The kids went crazy. We just happen to have the perfect spot for it in our back yard that will fit half of the slide (the whole thing is 50' long) and allow for some running room and a breaking area. Being the totally awesome mom that I am I agreed to go down the slide with my kids. It was great fun, although here are some things I learned:
1. Going down on your knees hurts like crazy -- just because the grass is one level doesn't mean the ground is underneath it! I don't know how kids can handle that!
2. My skin in its present white condition needs sunblock. I was only out about an hour and I got nearly fried. (Nearly because while it is burnt, I've had much worse!)
3. I am a lot taller and heavier than my children. I know that should be obvious but it just didn't occur to me that this would make any difference when they told me to go down on my bottom. I think I actually bruised my tailbone doing that one.
4. My tummy has sufficient padding for a fun ride down. That should be good news but there really isn't much use for my padding other than that.
5. While dish soap does make the slide slippier, it really hurts the eyes on the way down.
6. All the water collecting at the bottom makes the worms surface, making an interesting breaking area. The kids had a lot of fun with that one!
7. Kids can have literally HOURS of fun going down the same hill repeatedly.
8. We will definitely do this again, and next time we'll invite friends to enjoy it with us. :)
4 comments:
from our giant slip & slide experiences... baby shampoo works as well as dish soap, but is easier on the eyes & lawn!
You ARE a totally awesome mom!! And those are some wonderful tips you came up with!
you are the best mom..I don't think I would have been brave enough to do it myself. Your tips are always helpsful. =)
Good tips, but where are the pictures??
Post a Comment