Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sunday Afternoon Thought

I really enjoyed testimony meeting today, but then I usually do. Our bishop got up and said something that really struck me. I have probably heard it before but it really made me ponder. He said, "we should pray as if everything depends on the Lord and then act as if everything depends on us". Pretty cool. I have always believed that our actions play such an important role in the fulfillment of our prayers; if we aren't willing to work for what we want, why would God just give it to us? I have found in my life that the more sincere I am and the more I need something the more I am willing to work for it.

Case in point. This last week Jillian came home from school all excited because they got the notice about Homecoming week. For each day the kids get to dress up funky. One of the days is a "twins" day, where you and a friend are supposed to wear the same outfit. She and her friend, Emily, wanted to actually go out and buy something the same. I told her that if she wanted to do that then she would have to buy it herself. Neither of them had any money so they made a plan to get up Saturday morning and do yard work for people around the neighborhood. They ended up making $10 each!! Emily's mom took them to the store where they chose their outfit, and then she bought them some matching flip flops. Jillian had prayed the night before that she would be able to make enough money for this and then she did her best to make it come true. It was simply awesome! We were all proud of the girls for working so hard.

1 comment:

Ali said...

How cool! What a great learning experience for Jillian! I was in the library during Bishop's testimony, and I heard from a couple people that it was really good. I'm sad I missed it! That darn Primary calling keeps me so busy! :)