Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Little Update

A June bug flew in our house last night.  That means summer is almost here!  I have so enjoyed this spring.  Seeing all the trees in bloom and the color green coming back to our world makes me so happy!  Today I am going to go out and clean out the garage.  Do you think I'll get the car in?  Possibly, but without a working garage door opener it almost isn't worth it.  Plus the car has an oil leak.

I've had so much going on lately!  I posted about being in charge of Earth Week at my kids' school.  That is coming up in two weeks!  Ack!  I've got a lot to do there still but it is coming along nicely.  However, what was just a week-long event has now turned into a long-term project.  I've partnered up with a guy from the Missouri Dept of Conservation to revitalize the outdoor classroom and riparian area on the school grounds.  We are trying to make it more accessible to the students.  It is such a great resource!!!  We want to get some scouts to help us as an eagle project -- there's actually enough work for 2 or 3 projects.  The goal is to have as much of it done as possible for next year so I'm sure I'll be out there often this summer.  I have to say that it has been really great getting back to conservation-type work.  I had forgotten how much I enjoy it.

The girls are in the midst of soccer season.  Jorja came home from her game last night and was so proud that she "almost" got a goal!  Brad said she was just a bit too slow to make it all the way down the field alone.  But she was so happy with her effort and so were we!!  Jillian is doing great and is playing defense almost exclusively this year.  She can really kick that ball far!!

Jillian also tried out for a local play (101 Dalmatians) last Friday.  We'll find out soon what part she gets.  Rehearsals start in June.

Logan is almost done with his Tiger cub requirements.  He just has to tour a fire or police station -- he missed that field trip earlier this year.  He has really enjoyed scouts.

My choir has their first spring concert this Friday night.  We are singing three songs at the Heart of America Bluegrass and Old Time Music Showcase of Young Talent in Kansas City.  We'll sing "On Top of Spaghetti", "Shortnin' Bread" and "Goober Peas / The Goober Galop".  I'm very excited!  It is such a different venue from what we have done before -- they have a live band that will accompany us.  Should be fun!

I finally finished our taxes!!!  That is always a huge project, one that I truly hate doing.  But yay me!  It's done!  Now I've got to finish that web site I need to do for Brad....

The choir director at church asked me to be her substitute when she is out of town.  But that has already turned into we each direct one song a month.  How did that happen?  Actually, it's not such a bad thing; it gives me more experience and the songs are easy to teach/learn.

I am also on the Kidfest committee and we have a meeting every so often.  They asked our choir to sing there again.  (Kidfest is a big community party for kids sponsored by a local bank.)   I was pleased with that!  I am hoping for clear skies so we get a better turn-out this year.

 I was thinking about all of these things, plus the house and yard-work that needs to be done VERY SOON, and thought to myself:  self, you are involved in too many things.  But they are good things and I can't not do my best.  The next six weeks will be crazy busy, as the end of the school year typically are!!

1 comment:

Mere said...

I'm now the choir co-pianist. How did that happen?!?!