Saturday, September 6, 2008

I Hate Allergies

OK, I'm fed up with my allergies. I never had allergies until we moved and quite frankly, I'm glad I missed out on that for over thirty years. It seems to hit me in mid August and lasts until it freezes.

So, here are the top 12 reasons why I hate, nay despise, allergies:

1. My eyes itch and water -- it feels like there is something constantly stuck to my eyeball.
2. I am so congested my head feels like it will blow up.
3. My nose and upper lip are raw from blowing and wiping snot.
4. My throat hurts from having to breathe out of my mouth.
5. Allergy medicines either don't work or make me so tired that I am completely non-functional.
6. Essential oils don't help much either.
7. Traditional OTC cold meds work temporarily but I hate being on that kind of medication for that long.
8. I would really like to enjoy the nice weather outside but being out there makes me even worse.
9. Sometimes my nose runs but I am so congested that sniffing does nothing. And it comes so fast that I have a lovely snot line down my face or snot dripping on the floor. Yeah, this is gross but what can I do? Even if I have a tissue in my hand I still can't make it in time!!!
10. My sneezes are 10 times more powerful during allergy season, which really makes them hurt! And, instead of just my normal one or two sneezes, it takes eight or nine sneezes to do the job. Last year I threw my entire rib cage out laterally because of all my sneezing. That was really painful and took several trips to the chiropractor to fix it.
11. I have to sleep sitting up.
12. I have to sleep with the humidifier, which is cold and makes everything wet.
13. My friend, Ali, made note of another very important negative aspect of allergies. The supersonic sneezing is directly linked to a loss of muscular bladder control. There is not much worse than being in the middle of a sneeze and feeling yourself wet your pants uncontrollably.

I do have a greater empathy for my fellow allergy sufferers because of my own experiences. One thing I am grateful for is that Brad's and Jillian's allergies are so much better out here. Their dust allergies were so bad in Arizona that they frequently threw up. So I guess I'm willing to suffer a little for them to have a lot of relief.

2 comments:

Ali said...

I HEAR YOU!! I was just sitting here at the computer having snot drip all over me! A shirt works well when the tissue doesn't make it in time :) I'll add one more to your awesome list . . .sneezing all the time makes me pee my pants! I frequently pee myself in the spring and fall . . .great times. There you go - I gave you a great visual of myself dripping snot and sitting in a pile of pee right now. Hmmm, I wonder why my husband doesn't find me very sexy lately?

H said...

Okay i have to say I was laughing but only because I am right there with you! I don't have them nearly as long as you do but I do get them and I am just m i s e r a b l e! They are so NOT fun!

I have actually done that sneeze so hard you pee thing. I have also had that drip drip drip of the nose - isn't it fun?