"The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache."
Too true -- I have the same sentiments. However, sometimes life throws you against a wall, repeatedly, and a good cry is necessary and even relieving.
What a difficult two weeks this has been! The first was hard just because of so much going on: choir practice and performance in the Jesse James Parade, soccer practices and games, my parents coming into town, Logan's baptism, and doctor's appointments. It's been crazy! I'm glad my parents were able to come see Logan baptized! It was great having them here. They were also able to see my choir perform for the first time -- and the girls did great!!
This week has been emotionally hard: hopeful yet wary and then all hopes dashed and frustrated with being sick on top of it all. I tried to prepare myself for what might be but when the doctor told me what I had suspected, I was rocked to the core. I have now had four miscarraiges (not in order) but never have I been so emotionally attached to this one. I so wanted it, waited for it for five years. I couldn't laugh through this trial, couldn't even stop the tears.
I have felt like I've been deep in the midst of the refiner's fire for some time now. I'm hoping I'm becoming what the Lord wants me to be but I can't be sure. I keep thinking of Joseph Smith in the Liberty Jail pleading with the Lord for relief of his afflictions. The Lord told him that it will all be for his benefit. I have to have faith that somehow all of this will be to my benefit, even if it is just to gain experience and perspective.
Then today I read this from my brother-in-law's sister's blog:
“I believe that a lack of patience is a major cause of the difficulties and unhappiness in the world today. Too often, we are impatient with ourselves, with our family members and friends, and even with the Lord. We seem to demand what we want right now, regardless of whether we have earned it, whether it would be good for us, or whether it is right.”Yeah, that put me in my place. I do believe that one of the great lessons of life is learning patience. But it is disappointing when you hope for and then are disappointed to find out that your timetable and the Lord's aren't matching up.
~Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin
“Patience is tied very closely to faith in our Heavenly Father. Actually, when we are unduly impatient, we are suggesting that we know what is best—better than does God. Or, at least, we are asserting that our timetable is better than his. Either way we are questioning the reality of God’s omniscience [knowledge].”
~Elder Neal A. Maxwell
I've wanted to get busy again but have been stopped in my tracks by 1) the hormones still raging through my body that make me tired and 2) the cold I caught that has kept me in bed. Nothing like being sick to make you dwell on an already unfortunate situation. Ugh. See? I still need more patience!
I guess I'm done. That's probably the most depressing post I've ever written. It's also the most personal. I pray for faith to endure, for understanding of what I need to learn, and to always feel the love of the Savior with me. Like Dori in Finding Nemo, I "just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming." Someday I, too, will find my destination.
6 comments:
What a beautiful post for such a difficult time. It is apparent that you are staying close to our Heavenly Father and the gospel during this trial. I love you so much. Let me know if you need a snuggle buddy in bed that will help get your mind off of things. Your whole family will be in our prayers.
That made me cry and you are definatly being refined for something great. My prayers go out to your family.
My heart is so sad for you my friend. I'm very sorry for your losses. No matter what, do not abandon hope...cling to it. It makes those dark times brighter with promise....with the knowledge of the promises we have in store for us when we put our trust in Heavenly Father. I know you know this...
You will be in my prayers.
love,
Laura
Depressing? Sometimes you just need a good 'reality check' post. I'm fighting the patience thing myself too, trying to feel His love even though sometimes all I feel is frustrated. Miss you!!!
I just love you so much.
How did I not know this? Aunt Nadene just mentioned it to us on Sunday night. I'm so sorry. I've had several miscarriages myself and I remember the last one vividly, it was so difficult emotionally and physically. I have every faith that Heavenly Father has something big in store for valiant servants of His, such as yourself. I love you.
Post a Comment