Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Musical Instrument

Jillian had an assignment in school to make an instrument to bring for their science class. The second grade teachers each take a subject (Social Studies, Science, and Writing) and then they trade classes so that all the second graders get the lessons. I think it is a great idea! Anyway, in science, Jillian is learning about sound. They could create any kind of instrument except for maracas, since their music class had already done that. Jillian came up with a kazoo kind of thing (an idea she pirated from someone else at school) but it just was not good enough for Builder Brad.

So, he spent some time with her and they came up with this design for a xylophone. Jillian got to help drill the holes, staple the pieces together, sand, and paint. She was pretty proud of it, as you can see from the picture below. I have to say that I was done listening to the "music" after about ten seconds!

No comments: